Items tagged with housing:
News & Updates:
Homelessness is commonly attributed to mental health and substance abuse issues. However, when one looks more closely, these factors only play a small role in the overall number of experiences with homelessness. In truth, many broader economic forces create situations of poverty and housing insecurity for many Americans.
After yesterday’s announcement of a preliminary agreement addressing automotive trade policy with Mexico, the focus now turns to trade with Canada.
Due to the timing of President Trump’s tentative trade deal with Mexico, the fate of the bill itself could be in the hands of congressional Democrats; In an amicus curiae brief, sixteen US states, including 13 attorneys general and three GOP governors, are asking the Supreme Court to limit protections for LGBTQ workers; According to the Case-Shiller home price index, while housing prices are not declining, they are in fact decelerating.
President Trump announced that a preliminary trade deal between the United States and Mexico had been reachedUS and Mexico strike a preliminary trade deal; As concerns of global growth rise, price of crude oil follows suit; Starter home prices reach their highest levels since 2008.
Banks spoke out against the Trump administration’s plan to ease the Volcker rule, a post crisis restriction that bars banks from speculative trading with bank-owned funds; China breaks silence and announces intent to restart trade negations with America; President Trump relaxes rules on the U.S. government’s use of cyberweapons against adversaries; For the second consecutive week, jobless claims decrease; the slowdown continues as construction of new homes increased by less than 1% in July.
Fannie Mae: Economic & Strategic Research
Fannie Mae’s housing market research includes information and analyses on the state of the housing and mortgage industries, consumer and demographic insights, economic and mortgage market analysis and trends, and forecasts. Fannie Mae initiatives include:
• Economic & Housing Outlook
• National Housing Survey
• Own-Rent Analysis
• Housing Insights Series
Freddie Mac: Economic & Housing Research
Freddie Mac’s Economic and Housing Research includes:
- Primary Mortgage Market Survey: Freddie Mac surveys lenders each week on the rates, fees and points for the most popular mortgage products. Results are released Thursday at 10am EDT.
- U.S. Economic and Housing Outlook: Each month, Freddie Mac compiles data on major economic, housing and mortgage market indicators and offers forecasts.
- Refinancing Activity Reports: Freddie Mac compiles statistics and produces two quarterly reports, the “Cash-out Refinance Report” and the “Refinance Product Transition Report” based on loans refinanced in its retained portfolio.
- Freddie Mac House Price Index (FMHPI): Freddie Mac publishes its monthly house price index values each quarter for the nation as a whole, for each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia, and 367 metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs).
- Monthly Refi and ARM Shares: Once a month, as part of the Weekly Primary Mortgage Market Survey®, Freddie Mac collects the Refinance and ARM share of applications, as reported by lenders who participate in the survey.
- The Federal Cost of Funds Index (COFI) is used as a benchmark for some types of mortgage loans and securities. It is calculated as the sum of the monthly average interest rates for marketable Treasury bills and for marketable Treasury notes, divided by two, and rounded to three decimal places.
National Association of Home Builders
NAHB produces in-depth economic analyses of the home building industry based on private and government data. Our economics group surveys builders, home buyers, and renters to gain insight into the issues and trends driving the industry.
S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices
The S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices are the leading measures of U.S. residential real estate prices, tracking changes in the value of residential real estate both nationally as well as in 20 metropolitan regions.
U.S. Census Bureau: Housing
All available Census data on housing topics, including:
- Comparability of Housing Data from the Census, ACS, AHS, and the CPS/HVS
- Financial Characteristics
- Housing Vacancies
- Multifamily Housing
- Physical Characteristics
- Rental Housing
- Residential Financing
- Historical Housing Data
Quick link: http://www.census.gov/housing/