Items tagged with housing:
News & Updates:
Administration extends stay for El Salvadorians; Democrats try to prevent drilling near Grand Canyon; Uncertainty around Fed rate decision; Senate kills Paul’s attempt at spending cut; Home prices rise but lag in cities; Consumer confidence dips and misses expectations.
Citing research published with the Wharton Public Policy Initiative, Professor Vincent Reina discusses ways to improve housing affordability. Professor Reina first highlights the conditions that led to the crisis and moves onto broader normative prescriptions.
Must-pass legislation held up amidst impeachment inquiry; States prepare contingency plans for Obamacare worst-case scenario; Home builder consolidation exacerbating affordable-housing crisis; Economists call for a revival in the humanities.
Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced Tuesday that the House will launch a formal impeachment inquiry against President Trump in response to the ongoing whistleblower complaint; The UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change released a report on Wednesday that reviewed and predicted the state of the world’s oceans and ice; Congress is currently acting on the SAFE Banking Act: a bill that would provide protections to financial institutions that serve cannabis businesses; More workers to qualify for overtime; Despite advice from Energy Department, EPA granted full biofuel waivers; U.S. home sales increase more than expected in August.
Questions about Trump’s authority to withhold whistleblower complaint; California law to change status of workers in gig economy; Pharmaceutical companies stepping up lobbying efforts to protect pricing power; Backlash against use of facial recognition in public housing; Home price index indicates housing market heating up; Consumer confidence index fell to 3-month low.
Fannie Mae: Economic & Strategic Research
Fannie Mae’s housing market research includes information and analyses on the state of the housing and mortgage industries, consumer and demographic insights, economic and mortgage market analysis and trends, and forecasts. Fannie Mae initiatives include:
• Economic & Housing Outlook
• National Housing Survey
• Own-Rent Analysis
• Housing Insights Series
Freddie Mac: Economic & Housing Research
Freddie Mac’s Economic and Housing Research includes:
- Primary Mortgage Market Survey: Freddie Mac surveys lenders each week on the rates, fees and points for the most popular mortgage products. Results are released Thursday at 10am EDT.
- U.S. Economic and Housing Outlook: Each month, Freddie Mac compiles data on major economic, housing and mortgage market indicators and offers forecasts.
- Refinancing Activity Reports: Freddie Mac compiles statistics and produces two quarterly reports, the “Cash-out Refinance Report” and the “Refinance Product Transition Report” based on loans refinanced in its retained portfolio.
- Freddie Mac House Price Index (FMHPI): Freddie Mac publishes its monthly house price index values each quarter for the nation as a whole, for each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia, and 367 metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs).
- Monthly Refi and ARM Shares: Once a month, as part of the Weekly Primary Mortgage Market Survey®, Freddie Mac collects the Refinance and ARM share of applications, as reported by lenders who participate in the survey.
- The Federal Cost of Funds Index (COFI) is used as a benchmark for some types of mortgage loans and securities. It is calculated as the sum of the monthly average interest rates for marketable Treasury bills and for marketable Treasury notes, divided by two, and rounded to three decimal places.
National Association of Home Builders
NAHB produces in-depth economic analyses of the home building industry based on private and government data. Our economics group surveys builders, home buyers, and renters to gain insight into the issues and trends driving the industry.
S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices
The S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices are the leading measures of U.S. residential real estate prices, tracking changes in the value of residential real estate both nationally as well as in 20 metropolitan regions.
U.S. Census Bureau: Housing
All available Census data on housing topics, including:
- Comparability of Housing Data from the Census, ACS, AHS, and the CPS/HVS
- Financial Characteristics
- Housing Vacancies
- Multifamily Housing
- Physical Characteristics
- Rental Housing
- Residential Financing
- Historical Housing Data
Quick link: http://www.census.gov/housing/