Items tagged with housing:
News & Updates:
Homeland Security ends temporary residency for 60,000 Haitians; US home sales speed up.
Senate passes defense bill and sends to Trump’s desk for signature; U.S. Housing Starts Increase More Than Expected in October.
The tax bill released by Republicans on Thursday proposed capping the mortgage-interest deduction, limiting the portion of a mortgage on which people can deduct their interest at $500,000, down from the current level of $1 million.
Though Faculty Affiliate Todd Sinai says that the deduction doesn’t appear to encourage homeownership however, which it was ostensibly designed to do.
“Paying for dirt” refers to the ballooning land costs that now comprise an unprecedented part of house values, such as in severely unaffordable metropolitan markets. This has created an environment where affordability is impossible.
Faculty Affiliate Joseph Gyourko has researched how home costs and the costs of construction are affected.
CBO reports that bipartisan health care bill would reduce deficit by $4B over 10 years; Congressional Democrats introduce legislation to allow states to set up public option for health-care insurance; GOP congressional leaders scrambling to agree on tax deduction before budget vote; U.S. durable goods orders increase 2.2% in September, vs. 1.0% expected increase; U.S. new home sales race to nearly 10-year high in September.
Fannie Mae: Economic & Strategic Research
Fannie Mae’s housing market research includes information and analyses on the state of the housing and mortgage industries, consumer and demographic insights, economic and mortgage market analysis and trends, and forecasts. Fannie Mae initiatives include:
• Economic & Housing Outlook
• National Housing Survey
• Own-Rent Analysis
• Housing Insights Series
Freddie Mac: Economic & Housing Research
Freddie Mac’s Economic and Housing Research includes:
- Primary Mortgage Market Survey: Freddie Mac surveys lenders each week on the rates, fees and points for the most popular mortgage products. Results are released Thursday at 10am EDT.
- U.S. Economic and Housing Outlook: Each month, Freddie Mac compiles data on major economic, housing and mortgage market indicators and offers forecasts.
- Refinancing Activity Reports: Freddie Mac compiles statistics and produces two quarterly reports, the “Cash-out Refinance Report” and the “Refinance Product Transition Report” based on loans refinanced in its retained portfolio.
- Freddie Mac House Price Index (FMHPI): Freddie Mac publishes its monthly house price index values each quarter for the nation as a whole, for each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia, and 367 metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs).
- Monthly Refi and ARM Shares: Once a month, as part of the Weekly Primary Mortgage Market Survey®, Freddie Mac collects the Refinance and ARM share of applications, as reported by lenders who participate in the survey.
- The Federal Cost of Funds Index (COFI) is used as a benchmark for some types of mortgage loans and securities. It is calculated as the sum of the monthly average interest rates for marketable Treasury bills and for marketable Treasury notes, divided by two, and rounded to three decimal places.
National Association of Home Builders
NAHB produces in-depth economic analyses of the home building industry based on private and government data. Our economics group surveys builders, home buyers, and renters to gain insight into the issues and trends driving the industry.
S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices
The S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices are the leading measures of U.S. residential real estate prices, tracking changes in the value of residential real estate both nationally as well as in 20 metropolitan regions.
U.S. Census Bureau: Housing
All available Census data on housing topics, including:
- Comparability of Housing Data from the Census, ACS, AHS, and the CPS/HVS
- Financial Characteristics
- Housing Vacancies
- Multifamily Housing
- Physical Characteristics
- Rental Housing
- Residential Financing
- Historical Housing Data
Quick link: http://www.census.gov/housing/