Items tagged with federal budget:
News & Updates:
Hospitals Push Back on Price-Disclosure Rule; House Passes Stopgap as Spending Talks Stall; Another Potential Impasse in U.S.-China Trade Talks; Trump Program for Low-Income Communities Draws Scrutiny; U.S. Approves First Licenses for Renewed Tech Sales to Huawei; FOMC Minutes.
China looks to continue trade talks soon; Trump delays shutdown deadline; Trump weighs trade investigation in lieu of auto tariffs; Republicans now support a version of paid leave; U.S. consumer sentiment jumps after anticipated dip; Global growth is slowing
Trump administration thaws freeze on fuel-efficiency standards; Treasury easing rules meant to stop corporate inversions; Senate passes first of twelve funding bills; EPA set to ease pollution protection rules on coal power plants; Nonfarm payrolls beat estimates; Manufacturing still cooling, but by less.
Administration extends stay for El Salvadorians; Democrats try to prevent drilling near Grand Canyon; Uncertainty around Fed rate decision; Senate kills Paul’s attempt at spending cut; Home prices rise but lag in cities; Consumer confidence dips and misses expectations.
Congress has one week to fund government before it shuts down; Ukraine call raises impeachment pressure; Fannie, Freddie getting closer to retaining their earnings; Keynes would be concerned of America’s savings rate; U.S. manufacturing sector recovered in September.
Congressional Budget Office
Since its founding in 1974, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has produced independent analyses of budgetary and economic issues to support the Congressional budget process.
The agency is strictly nonpartisan and conducts objective, impartial analysis, which is evident in each of the dozens of reports and hundreds of cost estimates that its economists and policy analysts produce each year. CBO does not make policy recommendations, and each report and cost estimate discloses the agency’s assumptions and methodologies. CBO provides budgetary and economic information in a variety of ways and at various points in the legislative process. Products include baseline budget projections and economic forecasts, analysis of the President’s budget, cost estimates, analysis of federal mandates, working papers, and more.
Quick link to Products page: http://www.cbo.gov/about/our-products
Quick link to Topics: http://www.cbo.gov/topics
Office of Management and Budget
As the implementation and enforcement arm of Presidential policy government-wide, OMB carries out its mission through five critical processes that are essential to the President’s ability to plan and implement his priorities across the Executive Branch:
- Budget development and execution, a significant government-wide process managed from the Executive Office of the President and a mechanism by which a President implements decisions, policies, priorities, and actions in all areas (from economic recovery to health care to energy policy to national security);
- Management — oversight of agency performance, Federal procurement, financial management, and information/IT (including paperwork reduction, privacy, and security);
- Coordination and review of all significant Federal regulations by executive agencies, to reflect Presidential priorities and to ensure that economic and other impacts are assessed as part of regulatory decision-making, along with review and assessment of information collection requests;
- Legislative clearance and coordination (review and clearance of all agency communications with Congress, including testimony and draft bills) to ensure consistency of agency legislative views and proposals with Presidential policy; and
- Executive Orders and Presidential Memoranda to agency heads and officials, the mechanisms by which the President directs specific government-wide actions by Executive Branch officials.
- Quick link to current budget: http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/Overview
- Quick link to historical budgets: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/browse/collectionGPO.action?collectionCode=BUDGET
- Quick link to “About OMB”: http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/organization_mission/