Department of Health and Human Services
The Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (ASPE) within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is currently seeking student interns. ASPE serves as the principal advisor to the Secretary of HHS on policy development and is responsible for major activities in the areas of policy coordination, legislative development, strategic planning, policy research, evaluation, and economic analysis. Students will gain experience in a fast-paced work environment, contribute to the production of analytic papers and be exposed to a wide breadth of health policy.
The Office of Health Policy is comprised of four divisions: Health Care Financing, Health Care Access and Coverage, Public Health Services, and Health Care Quality and Outcomes. Topics include prescription drug pricing, financing, affordability, and access; health care payment and delivery system reform; individual and small group insurance markets; patient-centered outcomes research, health information technology, the health care safety net, and vulnerable populations.
Position duties and responsibilities include:
- Work with a team to develop and execute policy research
- Collaborate with multiple HHS agencies, including the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and the Health Resources and Services Administration
- Help respond to requests from ASPE and Departmental leadership for policy analysis and information on a variety of healthcare topics and initiatives
- Conduct analyses with federal and public data sources
- Present research findings at one or more staff meetings
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- A highly motivated analytic thinker with research skills, quantitative and/or qualitative
- Interest in connecting and translating research into policy
If you receive an offer, supplemental funding may be available from Wharton PPI. Once you hear back from the organization with an offer, please fill out the funding application form here: http://bit.ly/InternshipFunding
How to Apply
To apply, submit (as a single PDF) a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcript, and a writing sample on a relevant topic (3-5 pages).
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION